Finding Aids

Browse: Collections Subjects Creators Record Groups

Fototeca Unione Collection (founded by Ernest Nash), 1927 to the present | Photographic Archive

Contact us about this collection | Printer-friendly view
Title: Fototeca Unione Collection (founded by Ernest Nash), 1927 to the present
ID: 01/FU.
expand icon Show Biographical Note
Arrangement: The photographs, arranged in topographical order according to site, are labeled with a short description and basic bibliography.
The 29178 positives (24x18 cm) are all glued on grey cardboards (24x35 cm) and stored vertically in 77 drawers of the metal file cabinets. Kept in the Fototeca Unione Room.

The film negatives have been housed in single polypropylene envelopes in 43 acid-free ring folders vertically stored. The plates are horizontally preserved in single polyester sleeves in 15 acid-free boxes. All this material is kept in a climate control room.

ca. 25000 acetate film, 6x6 cm
ca. 3600 acetate film, 9x12 cm
ca. 900 film, 35mm
ca. 300 gelatine plate negatives, 13x18 cm.
Extent: 29178.0 Items
expand icon Show Administrative Information
Scope and Contents: The Fototeca Unione was created in 1957 thanks to the donation of documents by Ernest Nash to the International Union of Institutes in Rome.
The constitution of the Fototeca was decided by the American Academy in Rome and the International Union. The Statute of 1957, revised in 1974, defines the relationship between the Unione and the AAR.

Nash donation includes 3135 negatives and 1500 photographic prints of about fifty archaeological sites in Italy with a documentation of almost all monuments of ancient Rome, a considerable amount of collections of Ostia, Rome surroundings, Latium, Campania, Apulia.

The first photographic campaigns were realised by Ferdinando Castagnoli in Sicily and by Raissa Calza in ancient Ostia. Further on with the documentation of Lucos Cozza, Sandro Stucchi and the contribution of the Bollingen Foundation in the sixties, the photographic campaigns in Libya and Egypt increased the amount of the collection.
In the following years the Fototeca has built up its collection through systematic photographic campaigns, by acquisition of old photographs and by reproducing other material.
The activity and the project of Nash were carried on later by several important photographers interested in different countries: Einaudi (Jordan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Greece, Pompeii);
Mazzoleni (Italy); Frischer (Italy, Spain); Gherardini (Morocco, Algeria); Silvio Panciera (Romania); La Capra (Latium);Baldini; Bini (Algeria, Syria, Jordan, Pompeii); Vasari (Roma); Renzetti (Roma); Clayton Fant (Egypt); Ortolani (Latium); Scaramella (Roma).

Dr. Nash, the first Director of the Fototeca Unione, has also edited the "Pictorial Dictionary of Ancient Rome" (New York-London, 1962, revised. 1968), a bibliographical and pictorial repertory of the city’s ancient architecture, now a standard reference work.
After Nash's death in 1974, Karin Bull-Simonsen Einaudi, Nash's assistant since 1965, was appointed Director, serving until 1996.
From 1976 to 1981 Karen Einaudi presided at the doubling of the collection, from 14,000 to 28,000 images with funds awarded to the American Academy from the National Endowment for the Humanities, and its publication on microfiche ("Ancient Roman Architecture: Photographic Archive on microfiche", Fototeca Unione, American Academy in Rome, Vol. I, 1979, Vol. II, ibidem, 1982).
The collection now counts over 30,000 images and is a major source for scholars and publishers.
Under the careful supervision and the work of Dott.ssa Alessandra Capodiferro now approximately 6000 images have been catalogued.


Page Generated in: 0.288 seconds (46% SQL in 49 queries).
Using 3562624B of memory. (Peak of 3634132B.)

Powered by Archon Version 2.21
Copyright ©2009 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign